Monday, November 5, 2012

September 2012


Like I said, September was a big month for our family.  Todd really got crazy in the backyard.  The kids were put to work helping construct rock walls and the fire pit.  Construction on the pool FINALLY began.
 
However the most important events were all the preparations for the opening/dedication of the Brigham City Temple.  Kiarra, Zac, Karissa and Ally were all busy with extra practices for the cultural celebration the youth would be perfoming the night before the dedication.  I had the opportunity to serve as an usher during the open house.  I wasn't sure I would enjoy the experience, but I loved doing it .... even though it meant being at the temple by 6:30 AM.  Believe it or not, I was on time (3 times!).  Of course this meant Todd had the opportunity to get the kids off to school on those mornings...can't say that he loved that.  I also agreed to help with some costume construction for the cultural celebration.  I'm not the best seamstress in the world, so that made for some very late nights against short deadlines.
 
The most amazing experience for me however was the time I spent being a chaperone for the youth in our ward during the cultural celebration.  Our ward could only have 4 and I lucked out when my name was drawn from the hat.  It was crazy spending two whole Saturdays with about 4000 youth as they rehearsed and performed, but so worth every minute.  Here's a few photos of the fun.

First full Saturday practice a week before performance
Break time: Zac, Wyatt and Scott
Saturday, Sept 22.  Performance day started with practice at 6:30 AM!
You'd think by lunch, they'd be exhausted, but nope...Kiarra and others played games during the lunch break.
Didn't get great photos during the evening performance.  I was in the back helping kids get changed and in the right spot.  Elder Nelson and Elder Perry gave the youth great advice and encouragement!
We met at the church on performance day at 5:45 am and delivered the youth back to their homes around 9:30 pm.  It was such an exhausting day, but the rewards were incredible.  The youth's testimonies of the temple are inspiring.  Most of the kids have developed a bond with this temple through this cultural celebration as well as assignments cleaning the grounds or helping with the open house.  Many of the youth, including my own, have told me that they can't wait to receive their endowments and be married in the Brigham Temple.  Words can't even describe the spirit that descended on that football field that evening and I feel so blessed that I was there to witness it!

3 comments:

  1. The Temple is beautiful. Where in town is is located?

    Exciting stuff is happening at your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temple is on Main Street in Brigham... across the street from the tabernacle. Gorgeous on the inside too. Great details in the carvings, glass and murals specific to the valley.

      Delete
  2. I'm so exited to see your pool going in...i can imagine what a great experience it was to strengthen your testimonies through service....

    ReplyDelete